Books Read in December: 12
OUCH. December was a super rough month for me and I got very little reading done. Clearly. Not only did I get next to no reading done this month but I only managed to post 5 reviews. The holidays, what can I say. It is what it is.
- [3 Dec] Cam Girl by Leah Raeder ★★★★
- [4 Dec] The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett ★★
- [10 Dec] The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones ★★★½
- [12 Dec] Illuminae by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff ★★★½
- [18 Dec] Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker ★★★★★
- The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events #10) by Lemony Snicket ★★★
- Just Fall by Nina Sadowsky ★★
- The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events #11) by Lemony Snicket ★★★
- The Widow by Fiona Barton ★★★★
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling ★★★★
- The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer ★★★
- The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events #12) by Lemony Snicket ★★★
- The Lump of Coal by Lemony Snicket ★★★
- The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events #13) by Lemony Snicket ★★★
- Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer ★★
- The Devil’s Rose by Brom ★★★
Another reason for my low book read count this month was my DNFs. Typically when I DNF, I quit super early on so I don’t waste a whole bunch of time. With Fates and Furies and Krampus, I got at least halfway through, and especially with Fates and Furies I spent DAYS on it. Wasn’t worth it, I’ll tell you that much.
- Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
- Ghastle and Yule (Kindle Single) by Josh Malerman
- Ice by Anna Kavan
- Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom
Best of the Month: Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker ★★★★★
Don’t you love it when you pick up a book with little to no expectations and it completely blows you away? This ended up being hands down my favorite book of the year. Going to be remembering this one for a long time.
Least Favorite(s): Just Fall by Nina Sadowsky ★★
This was a pretty unremarkable debut mystery that failed to impress me. Enough said.
Biggest Surprise: The Widow by Fiona Barton ★★★★
I was sent Just Fall, this, and one other but because I read Just Fall first my expectations were rock bottom for the rest of them. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, even if the damn blurb references both Gone Girl AND The Girl on the Train. Stahp, publishers, please.
Biggest Disappointment: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer ★★
I’ve been a huge Lunar Chronicles fan from the beginning so I’m not sure if my expectations were off the charts or what but this just didn’t do it for me. At all. Everyone and their dog has loved this so it’s clearly a black sheep situation.