Book Read in January: 14
I can’t believe we’re already done with the first month of 2016. Time sure does fly. I’m pretty satisfied with the amount of reading I got done, even with the slump I got into in the last week. I stuck with my goal this year of avoiding Saturday post dates to reduce my stress levels of trying to get a post up every day. I work two jobs at the moment. I have kids. It’s just not feasible, so I’m trying to cut myself some slack. And I successfully kept up with my new, epic reading spreadsheet which TOTALLY helps me stay all organized, thus making these posts all the more easier. All in all, I think January was a success.
- [7 Jan] Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee ★★
- [8 Jan] Heartburn by Nora Ephron ★★★★½
- [14 Jan] Fallen Land by Taylor Brown ★★★
- [15 Jan] Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho ★★
- [21 Jan] Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy ★★★½
- [22 Jan] Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit ★★★
- [28 Jan] Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews ★★★★½
- [29 Jan] Sweetgirl by Travis Mulhauser ★★★★
Only plan on not reviewing four reads from the month. The rest will be posted in February.
- Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands #1) by Sarah Fine ★★
- Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill ★★★★
- The Plucker by Brom ★★★★
- Mercury Retrograde (Dark Alchemy #2) by Laura Bickle ★★★½
- Barbara the Slut and Other People by Lauren Holmes
- Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth
- Wreck and Order by Hannah Tennant-Moore
Best of the Month: Heartburn by Nora Ephron ★★★★½
I’d been eyeing Nora Ephron for ages but finally took the plunge and oh man… I’m so sad she doesn’t have more novels for me to dive into. I did add all of her non-fiction/memoirs to my TBR though.
Least Favorite: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee ★★
I still don’t know why I picked this one up. I already knew I was going to enjoy it based on the things I had heard, but it was one of those I simply needed to experience it for myself.
Biggest Surprise: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy #1) by Ilona Andrews ★★★★½
Wow. This book was so good it put me in a book slump because I couldn’t find anything to compare. I cannot wait for the next installment… May 2017. *cries*
Biggest Disappointment: Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands #1) by Sarah Fine ★★
I had this series on my TBR for AGES. It was one of those I didn’t understand why I hadn’t read because they seemed like total me books.. but it almost ended being a DNF. I’m a definite black sheep when it comes to this one.